Re: Visual Basic and Oracle

From: Robert Clevenger <robc_at_magicnet.net>
Date: 1998/02/19

Billy,

Billy Verreynne wrote in message <6cba7f$pl$1_at_hermes.is.co.za>...
>OLE sucks. It looks good, but is complex with a lot of performance

True...

>overheads. Embedding OLE controls in a Forms application, instead of using
>the native Windows API for that service, is pure stupidity IMO. You want to

Why not use the native WIN32 API calls... OraFFI can do it.

>rely on 3rd party OLE controls for a corporate app where stability and
>robustness are key requirements - think again. (BTW, embedding OLE in your
>Forms app defies the whole issue of building portable applications.)

But you embed 3rd party controls in VB with the same disadvantages.

>You mention "all these Window things can be embedded" - with Forms, is it
>possible to send results to an Excel application via DDE, or automatically

Yes.

>publish it by calling web server CGI, or automatically FTP it to a server,

Yes again. (OraFFI)

>or store it in a local Access database, or built a multidimensional
decision

Why? Store it in Oracle...<grin>

>cube of the data in memory, or e-mail it using either MAPI or SMTP? Is it

Done both of these.... (the MAPI and SMTP)

>possible to built visual components that can be re-used by other developers
>for other applications? Is it possible to use native Windows API calls and

I'd rather build reusable components in C than VB anyways.... and Yes, you can make Win32 or Win16 (or UNIX) API calls..

>register callback functions? Is it possible to develop 3 tier applications?

Haven't tried it with the callbacks. You could do it in a DLL though..

>The time for single stand-alone applications are fast becominging a thing
 of
>the past. The key issue for applications today is integration. Faster,
>better and transparent information delivery to the local client and network
>services. And don't tell me you can do that with a mickey mouse development
>tool like Forms!!
>I fail to see how anyone can even consider to compare Forms with
 development
>tools like Visual Basic, Delphi or Power Builder...
>regards,
>Billy

Well, each company and developer have particular likes and dislikes, as well as different requirements. I have not tried executing a VB program on a Solaris
Server and seeing if it works on my Xterm, probably not.

Each environment has it's advantages and disadvantages about it. This is one
of the great things about development. There are MANY ways to achieve the same
goal. Which programming environment people use is more like a religious discussion
than a technical discussion. I use both sets of tools to achieve different goals. I prefer
to use the best tool for the job and weigh the merits of both than try to do a comparason
where I negate the value of the other tool.

I'm not a Forms advocate (I am a serious Mountan Dew fanatic however). I just wanted
to point out that both tools have a place. (Besides on my bookcase...)

Take Care,

Robert Clevenger

Note: please pipe all flames to /dev/null. Received on Thu Feb 19 1998 - 00:00:00 CST