Oracle timestamps below seconds granularity

From: Jonathan W. Ingram <jingram_at_spam.less.teleport.com>
Date: 1998/02/19

We are trying to display the hundredths of a second value stored in timestamps for certain records, but we are unable to find a format model that will allow us to achieve this level of granularity. Ideally, we want to see the entire date/time stamp in a format like this:

        02 FEB 1998 06:25:37.07 where the .07 is the hundredths of a second value in the timestamp. We've checked the SQL and PL/SQL manuals and several third party texts and are unable to find any information on this. It appears that Oracle can store the timestamp with this granularity but cannot display the partial seconds via any documented method.

This is a third-party application that we own and are trying to query based on the timestamp. Altering the application is an undesirable option at best.

It's difficult to believe that no one has ever done anything like this before, especially in scientific applications.

Jonathan Ingram
Tektronix, Inc. Database Administrator Received on Thu Feb 19 1998 - 00:00:00 CST