Re: Database market is saturated fully, there is no more room!!

From: Tim Schaefer <tschaefe_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1998/02/19

#include <duct_tape.h>

Al,

The very forum, Linux, is charted around being open, and encouraging participation of any and all contributors. This means there is plenty of room for commercial vendors of all sizes. If the more popular vendors we all know about decide to port their software to Linux, this can only benefit everyone. It's not a matter of "if" but *when* one of them completes a port. This will change dramatically the dynamics of what platforms are viable for using data bases. No other UNIX platform has the benefits Linux has, this should be the message, not the lunacy your messages tend to portray.

Perhaps you could redirect your efforts towards convincing one of the top vendors that whoever makes it first to Linux will probably have a bigger hand in changing the face of computing than most people realize. There can only be ONE of the top five vendors to be FIRST, the rest will certainly have to play catch up in this new market, and live with being a follower, not a leader.

Having one of the top data base products on Linux will also allow other software products the justification to port to Linux, and further the legitimacy of this extremely important operating system. Your comments, while noble, and romantic, actually reduce your credibility, and the legitimacy of Linux. Only cold hard business facts will bolster your arguments, and when it comes to Linux, this is extremely difficult. Adding fluff and nonsense waste everyone's time.

Tim

Tim Schaefer
tschaefe_at_mindspring.com
http://www.inxutil.com