Re: INDEX Use. How?

From: Don Humberson <dhumberson_at_imailbox.com>
Date: 1998/02/17

Karen,

I would strongly discourage you from granting 'Create Any Index' to your user community.

In UNIX, I prefer to provide the user community with a ksh script which does the following:

  1. Accepts one parameter, which is the filename of an index creation script.
  2. Copies that script to an archive.
  3. Interrogates the invoking shell for user and group id, then records them in an ORACLE table.
  4. Executes the script as a dedicated user.
  5. Emails the invoker and the duty DBA with a short log report.

The script is executable by anyone in a dedicated UNIX group, but readable only by the UNIX login oradba. Requiring all creates to be done via scripts allows better auditing, but also offers the users some automatic documentation.

If you provide a create index skeleton script which includes a tablespace identifier and a storage clause, most users will pick it up quickly. Having the archive lets you monitor compliance, monitor space usage, and identify problem users more quickly.

Hope this helps,
Don Humberson