Need help creating my first Oracle database

From: Becky Innocent <innocent_at_darkstar.bos.platsol.com>
Date: 1998/02/17

I need to create a new database (RAV). Here's what I've done:

Used Instance Manager to create a new instance. I made sure that the initrav.ora settings are correct.

In a DOS window, I set the env var ORACLE_SID to RAV

Went to Server Manager and connected using the internal/manager combination.

I then issued the "create database" command and I get the following error(s):

ORA-01501 CREATE DATABASE failed
ORA-01100 database already mounted

When I try to connect directly to the new database by typing: "connect internal/manager_at_rav"
I get the ORA-12505:TSN: listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor

When I assign the name of my new database to the "connect_data" string in TNSNAMES.ora, again I get the ORA-12505 error but if I set it to "ORCL", I get the "ORA-01031: insufficient privileges" error.

To summarize this, I can't connect to my newly created database perhaps because there is something else (or a bunch of things) I need to do.

Any ideas? Received on Tue Feb 17 1998 - 00:00:00 CST