Re: Question: using SQLLoader to load a VARCHAR(2000) field

From: David Vanidour <dvanidou_at_psc-cfp.gc.ca>
Date: 1998/02/17

QIANG01 wrote:

> Dear Oracle experts,
>
> I have a question on SQLLoader (Release 7.3.2.2.0).
>
> I want to load a data file into a table, which is defined as:
>
> temp_table
> (
> long_string VARCHAR2(2000)
> )
>
> As long as the field in the file is longer than 258 characters, I got a "Field
> in data file exceeded maximum specified length".
>
> Oracle defines VARCHAR2's maximum length as 2000, so I don't understand how
> this could happen. I tried to use 'PIECED' option as well as setting BINDSIZE
> to a big number using Direct Load, but it just doesn't work. Does this have
> anything to do with CHAR's maximum length is 255?
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated!!!
>
> Please email chan9055_at_cs.nyu.edu. Thanks.
> Song Chang
> auto parts

Page 6-51 of my Oracle7(tm) Server Utilities User's Guide says:

"To Load LONG Data: If the column in the database table is defined as LONG, you must explicitly specify a maximum length either with a length-specifier on the CHAR keyword, or with the POSITION keyword. This guarantees that a large enough buffer is allocated for the value, and is necessary even if the data is delimited or enclosed."

Now I know you have a varchar2 field defined but treat it the same way, ie explicitly define the length to SQL*Loader.

Hope that helps. Received on Tue Feb 17 1998 - 00:00:00 CST