Re: Help:NT faster UNIX?

From: Keith E. Moore <kmacs_at_gandalf.kmacs.com>
Date: 1998/02/17

The big question on everyones mind:

   What's the HARDWARE????

If you have a Dual Pentium II system with 512MB RAM running NT, and an old HP chip with 8MB ram, than the OS is not the problem.

Given equal hardware, UNIX (HP-UX not being the best) out-performs NT 90% of the time for equivalent tasks.

For a RDBMS the harddrives and RAM would be the most important things.

  A new EIDE hardrive averages around 16MB transfer bursts, with Ultra ATA running slightly faster with better sustained rates.

  SCSI-I/II is 10MB, Fast SCSI-II/III is 20MB and UltraWide SCSI-III is 40MB, which means anything below UltraWide will be the same or slower. SCSI performs better with Multi-tasking/processing OS's than EIDE becuase of the dedicated I/O processor.

--
-- Keith Moore
   President

--
/*----C/C++--Java--VB--Pro*C--SQL--OCI--Java--Delphi--ODBC--COBOL-----*
 *        When the project must be saved at all costs:                *