Re: Slow import

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_acay.com.au>
Date: 1998/02/17

Robert Doolittle wrote:

> I am importing a table that seems to be taking an unusual amount of time.
>
> imp user1/users1 file=/expdat.dmp tables=mytable indexes=y ignore=y
> buffer=10000 commit=y

Given the slow turn-around time of my ISP, this may reach this NG much later. My apologies for that but there is nothing I can do to speed it up.

Your problem is the "indexes=y". This creates the index when the table is created and then proceeds to insert all rows into the table with the obvious slow down due to index insertion. I'd do a "indexes=n rows-y", then use another import with "rows=n indexes=y", which will create the index(es) AFTER the table is loaded.

Much, much faster that way. Also use the DIRECT option in your export, it speeds up the export and may also improve the import. I'm not sure though if you can use the other options when using DIRECT. Anybody?

HTH
Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_acay.com.au Received on Tue Feb 17 1998 - 00:00:00 CST