Re: TRUNCATE and ARCHIVELOG mode

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378nospam_at_deere.com>
Date: 1998/02/16

From the Oracle Server Utilities Manual:

Specifying RECOVERABLE and UNRECOVERABLE The following options apply to direct path loads: RECOVERABLE
Loaded data is logged in the redo log. This option is the default for direct path loads. All conventional loads are recoverable.
UNRECOVERABLE
This option can be specified for a direct path load only. Loaded data is not logged, which improves load performance. (Other changes to the database are logged.) For details, see page 8-9. This option cannot be specified with a conventional load.

Specifying UNRECOVERABLE
Use UNRECOVERABLE to save time and space in the redo log file. An UNRECOVERABLE load does not record loaded data in the redo log file, instead, it generates invalidation redo. Note that UNRECOVERABLE applies to all objects loaded during the load session (both data and index segments.)
Therefore, media recovery is disabled for the loaded table, although database changes by other users may continue to be logged. Note: Because the data load is not logged, you may want to make a backup of the data after loading.
If media recovery becomes necessary on data that was loaded with the UNRECOVERABLE phrase, the data blocks that were loaded are marked as logically corrupted.
To recover the data, drop and re-create the data.