Re: Mysterious log switches

From: Jeff Shervey <jeff.shervey_at_us.landisstaefa.com_spamblock>
Date: 1998/02/16

You don't by any chance have the *init.ora param: "log_checkpoint_timeout" set to about 36,000 seconds? Check log_checkpoint_interval. Setting it higher than the number of OS blocks (redo logfile total size) found in your REDO logfile causes it to do a logswitch only when the redo logfile fills up. Setting it smaller speeds recovery and causes logswitches more frequently based on when "log_checkpoint_interval" number of blocks are written to the redo file. There also is a "alter" command that can force a logswitch.

Jeff Shervey - Landis & Staefa