Re: Oracle V7.3 vs. V8.0

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/02/16

Scott Cairns wrote in message <01bd3888$0ee7c560$d4000080_at_ccu09>...
>Dave Moore <dmoore_at_bmc.com> wrote in article <34E2F2FA.3352A581_at_bmc.com>...
>> Oracle8 gives you many advantages including:

>> * VLDB support: Table and Index partitions that increase performance.
>Is this analogous to segments in Sybase?

Not sure how Sybase segments work - if it is the same as SQL-Server then no. With Oracle you have physical datafiles or raw slices that makes up a tablespace. An object such as a table or index can be stored in a tablespace. With partitionining, you can specify via constraints which data of a table must be stored in which datafile in the tablespace. With retrieval Oracle then "knows" (if you use the patitioning contraints as part of the SQL criteria) which datafiles to use and which not to use when doing i/o. This can make a *huge* difference in i/o performance for VLDs and VLTs.

>> * Abstract Datatypes: User defined datatypes.
>You mean Oracle is just getting around to user-defined datatypes now!?! I
>had those in Sybase 4.2... Good thing because the database design we have
>makes extensive use of them. Guess I'm going Oracle 8 instead of 7.x...

Oracle8 also include new data types such as video for example. Abstract datatypes have been support in stored procedures in Oracle 7.

>> * Security Enhancements
>Such as?

Oracle Net8 (previously called SQL*Net) has new security features I think.

To get a comprehensive list of new features in Oracle8 point your web browser to http://www.oracle.com

regards,
Billy Received on Mon Feb 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CST