Re: Has anyone developed applications with DB's over 100GB?

From: Sundial Services <news-reply_at_sundialservices.com>
Date: 1998/02/16

In article <34C25418.B7525596_at_thunderstone.com.removethis> THUNDERSTONE <bart_at_thunderstone.com.removethis> writes:

>> We are about to start development of an application that will potentially
>> have a database size of over 100GB. We are trying to decide what platform,
>> O/S, and database to use.
>>
>> If anyone has experience in development with a database of this size, I'd be
>> interested in hearing you opinions on what has worked and not worked for
>> you.

>For example, its really easy to make a 100 gig photo or document
>database because
>the primary search keys are not the big consumer of space. If on the
>other hand
>you have 100 gig's of 80 byte records, you're going to have to do a lot
>more
>analysis to make it work.

You bring up a very interesting point, Thunder. The "size" of a database has a certain number of physical-filesize considerations ... which most DBMSes can handle well enough by creating physical partitions if the file-system can handle it. But the "size" that will "get you" is really the total number of records. That determines how large the indexes are, how many levels the B-trees, and how many tuning-knobs you actually require. Add to this the number of simultaneous users you have banging on the database, the number of these that are updating, and the 7/24 requirements you may or may not have... Received on Mon Feb 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CST