Re: Q: how in hell could i name the links?

From: Martin Haltmayer <Martin_Haltmayer_at_KirchGruppe.de>
Date: 1998/02/14

Most likely the site you are connecting FROM has the "global_names = true" set in init.ora. This will prevent you creating any database links that do not obey the name scheme "TARGET_INSTANCE_NAME_at_ARBITRARY_QUALIFIER". To help you out, you have two choices in your situation:

  1. Shutdown your source instance and startup with "global_names = false".
  2. If you don't want to shutdown your database, use the database scheme mentioned above. Example: your target database instance may be named TRGT. Then you create the database link TRGT_at_abc with the usual "connect to", "identified by" and "using" clauses. If you need a second link, you just name it TRGT_at_blabla and so on. Worked fine for me.

Designer/2000, however, is using its own naming scheme. Therefore, you must use solution 1). That means, the database holding your repository must be started with "global_names = false". Oracle support explained this to me.

Martin Haltmayer