Re: Movie "TITANIC" - Which database used to make it?

From: Gregory Travis <greg_at_sherrill.kiva.net>
Date: 1998/02/13

In article <6bv4vl$iov$1_at_jetsam.uits.indiana.edu>,
Brian Wheeler <bdwheele_at_indiana.edu> wrote:

>In article <6bv1ce$tdg$1_at_nnrp2.dejanews.com>,
> garym_at_sympatico.ca writes:
>> In the interests of accuracy: http://www.titanicmovie.com has a transcript
>> of the IRC with the director ...
>>
>> The 30 minutes of digital effects (which cost $40M) were rendered on SGI
>> hardware ... _and_ on NT machines.
>>

> Interesting...but _wrong_. I'd believe the information coming from
>tech people at Digital Domain, the people who actually did the rendering.
>Alpha/Linux was used for the bulk rendering, as well as SGI. NT was _not_
>used for the bulk rendering, but for interactive cut and paste work. As
>far as '30 minutes of digital effects' goes, according to sources at DD,
>there were 300,000 frames rendered, or about 3 hours worth. Of course,
>some of that was certainly snipped, but there was more than 30 minutes
>of film which had digital effects in it.
>
>Source: "Linux helps bring _Titanic_ back to life"
> http://www.ssc.com/lj/issue46/2494.html

Gary has been trying to spread the SGI/NT lie about Titanic all over the place. Darryl Straw who, unlike Gary, is still employed by Digital Domain has refuted Gary's points, in a posting approved by DD management, before so I won't go into it. Check out any of the advocacy groups for the background.

Unfortunately, several NT advocacy groups and magazines believed Gary when he told them of NT being involved in rendering as well as about Linux instability. So much for quality journalism.

greg Received on Fri Feb 13 1998 - 00:00:00 CST