Re: ms-sql vs oracle on NT or UNIX?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/02/12

In article <6bu3ht$n2j$1_at_hermes.is.co.za>, Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote:
>Fredrik Larsson wrote in message <01bd3722$e188da20$28282828_at_maestro>...
>>NT in general is crap. I hate every day that I work with it. As a client
>>there is no alternative but NT as a server no way! Unix or Novell is the
>>better choices.

While I agree that it is much better to avoid a religious war, I have spent a great deal of time with both on my desk, and have to agree with Fredrik. NT lacks basic tools for working as a server - it was not designed as a server, but merely positioned as one when it was greeted with a big yawn by the vast majority of 3.1 users who saw no reason to upgrade. The result is what we have now - a system with no batch capabilities, which is really ridiculous for a business OS, and all sorts of wierdnesses required to manage Oracle, such as the registry stuff, services that can't easily be shut down, and periodic reboots as a way of life. A while back one of the trade rags mentioned using NT to monitor stuff on the Saturn assembly line, based on vaporware failover. I had to laugh.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com