Help Instance not starting?

From: Todd Ariss <tariss_at_v-wave.com>
Date: 1998/02/12

I'm running Oracle 7.3.2.2.1 Workgroup Server on NT4 and I've recently tried to install an older version of Dev2000 which seemed to install without a problem. Afterwards, when I tried to connect to the database it failed. So I tried to connect via SQL*Plus and got the following errors:

ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

ORA-09243: smsget: error attaching to SGA
OSD-04101: invalid SGA: SGA not initialized
O/S-Error: (OS 203) The system could not find the environment
option that was entered.

I uninstalled Dev2000 and I'm still getting the error. When I look at my NT Instance Manager it indicates that for my SID "ORCL" the service is "running" but the instance is "stopped". When I look at my services running I find the following services are in fact running:

OracleServiceORCL
OracleStartORCL
OracleTNSListener

My process list indicates the following process running:

ORACLE73.EXE
STRTDB73.EXE The instance used to startup automatically but now it doesn't. I've tried to do it manually but it's not working. Perhaps I'm not starting it properly. Anyhow, I've run out of ideas as to why my instance will not come up so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Todd Ariss Received on Thu Feb 12 1998 - 00:00:00 CST