Re: Oracle V7.3 vs. V8.0

From: Darryl & Marnie Balaski <balaski_at_snet.net>
Date: 1998/02/12

Scott Cairns wrote:
> We are planning a 'green-field' Oracle installation (i.e., we are in the
> planning and acquisition stages only). If we don't have any legacy
> databases to port, should we jump in with v8.0 or v7.3?
> What does v8.0 give you over v7.x?
> This would be a data warehousing application with no multimedia
> requirements and no replication requirements (that we know of as of this
> writing). Hardware/OS would be most likely Sun Solaris.
> My concerns (coming from a Sybase 11 background) is that you probably don't
> want to jump in with the new model and go with the tried and true.
> TIA
Go with Oracle 8, It offers significant performance increases over Oracle 7. Most of the wonderful enhancements in 7.3 are backports form the code developed for specifically for version 8.

Coversion process is never nice, and a coversion from 7.3 to 8 will be even less nice since the structure of the ROWID has changed so drastically.

Good Luck,
dB

| personal page:  http://www.commnet.edu/co/staff/darryl/
|
| banner release: http://www.commnet.edu/cgi-bin/bannerver

| The problem with an Us vs. Them world view is that it is too inclusive.|