read buffer size AIX 4.2 / Oracle 7.3.x

From: William Tierney <wtierney_at_stanford.edu>
Date: 1998/02/11

Sorry .. not sure if I'm asking this correctly..

As part of Oracle install / perf + tuning regarding multi_block_read ..I'm suppose to know
the size of the 'read buffer' of the OS. The book says for HPUX is is 64k ..but nothing for AIX.

Someone told me that almost all unix is at 64k..

Does anyone know what the 'read buffer' size is for AIX?

Aloso curious what folks on AIX are using for a database block size for the Oracle install. Was thinking of 4096 ..but wondering if 8192 would be better..

Finally, does anyone know what the IO speed is for the IBM 4.5 gig disks that come in these rs6000 machines?

Thanks!

wtierney_at_stanford.edu Received on Wed Feb 11 1998 - 00:00:00 CST