Unsupported Replication

From: Bob Osacky <a#osack_at_ccmail.ceco.com>
Date: 1998/02/11

Has any one experimented with replicating oracle tables by copying a tablespace file from one Oracle instance to another ? Our goal is to have the speediest replication of tables in a particular TS and copying the TS file seems the fastest way to move the data as opposed to export/import.

Here are the issues we've come up with thinking about this:

  1. Is there a way to handle the recovery issue to zap the copied TS SCN so it matched the target instances current SCN ?

2.If this can be done is there a way to update the new instance (ie extents, segments) so it reflects the copied TS ?

First thoughts are this can't be done but thought I'd see if anyones found a way.
We plan on export/import for now and then Oracle incremental replication as our change rates are fairly low.

Thanks in advance,

Bob Received on Wed Feb 11 1998 - 00:00:00 CST