Re: Adding privileges to user.

From: Lothar Armbruester <lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de>
Date: 1998/02/11

On 03-Feb-98 03:12:34 Christian Hamel wrote:

><HTML>
>Hi.
><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I've downloader Personnal Oracle 7 from the Oracle
>web site (Trial version).&nbsp; I wanna try it before buying it.
><BR>I'm adding a table wich I set the owner "Christian".&nbsp; I create
>a new table and add some field.&nbsp; If I wanna delete a field after that,
>I can't, the option "Remove" is not available.&nbsp; So I go to the
>Properties of the table and after Object Privileges.&nbsp; Then I try to add
>some attributes to my user but I can't, it says "You may not GRANT/REVOKE
>privileges from yourself".&nbsp; So how can I add some privileges to
>"Christian" by logging on another user name like SYSTEM but how?&nbsp;
>There's no login option at all in Oracle Navigator.&nbsp; Please if you know
>what is my problem help me, I'm pretty new to Oracle.&nbsp; A great tanx in
>advance.

Hello,

I think I have at least a partial answer for your problem.

First as far as I know it is not possible to remove columns from a table. You will have to drop and recreate it.
Second, when you use SQL*Plus, you should be able to connect as SYSTEM and then grant some privileges. I don't know Personal Oracle very well, but I think it has SQL*Plus. Once connected in SQL*Plus, you easily can change the use issuing the command

connect <user>/<password>;

or

connect <user>;

In the latter case you will be propted for the password. Then you can do something like

grant create any table to <username>;

Hope that helps,
Lothar

--
Lothar Armbrüster       | lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de
Schulstr. 12            | lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de