Re: Few complicated Questions in Oracle

From: <UMESH.X.TIWARI_at_x400gw.ameritech.com>
Date: 1998/02/10

In article <34E0683F.D8F90ADF_at_baan.com>,   Ram Prasad <rprasad_at_baan.com> wrote:

> (1) Why creating an index is slower than creating a table ?

Not Always. When the table is empty, creating index may not be slower. Whenever there is some information stored on a table, index creation is slow because the columns being indexed have to be sorted first before the database kernel can possibly arrange them in an order to create the index.

> (2) Is it posible for an instance on one server to mount the
> database on another server in the absense of OPS architecture
> - Using NFS mount technology ?

You can create an instance on one server with all of its data/log/control files on an NFS mounted disk of another server.

> (3) Is it beneficial to backup an online redo log file , In other
> words an we recover from the loss of an online redo log file using
> previous backup ? If not why ?

Backing up Online Redo Log is useful only if all of the data and control files are also backed up (when the instance is shutdown). Such a backup is called a cold image backup.

Umesh Tiwari