Re: MS Access and Oracle 8: Help

From: Jim West <jwest_at_frii.com>
Date: 1998/02/10

Ok, here's a followup:

  Uninstall all Oracle ODBC drivers. Went back to the Oracle web and downloaded the latest Oracle7 ODBC driver. I had previously downloaded the Oracle8 ODBC driver but then noticed that it was listed to work with Net 8 Clientl, which I don't believe we have. The Oracle7 ODBC drivers were listed to work with SQL*Net, which we do have.

  Here are my particulars:

  On the PC:

	Windows95
	MS Access 97 (Office 97)
	SQL*Net Client 2.3.2.1.6A
	Oracle7 32 bit ODBC Driver (Production) 2.5.3.1.0B

  For the DB:
	Oracle8 Enterprise Edition Release 8.0.3.0.0 - Production
	  with the Partioning and Objects option
	Sun E5000 running Solaris 2.5.1

Ran the SQL*Net Easy Config and set up my alias. Then ran the ODBC32 Admin and set up a User DSN tied to the alias I provided to SQL*Net.

SQL*Plus 3.3 works ok.
Tested with the ODBC Test Tool. It to connects and works ok.

Fired up MS Access, created a new DB. From the Tables tab, I selected New and then attempted to both import and link tables from "ODBC Databases".

I select my DSN, get my login prompt, enter my password, hit <RETURN> and whammy! I get "Reserved Error (-7778) Not text for error message".

So...I ask you, oh great Oracle wizards, what am I doing incorrectly here!

Thanx for any and all help.