Re:export/import

From: Vinay Joshi <vjoshi_at_pinnacle.co.uk>
Date: 1998/02/10

option :
1:)
NOT create a new database at all, but get rid of the user_tables from MACHINE A and
setup a Database link with tables on machine B and use the COPY command. This allows you to copy/create only the specified tables.

2:) Delete database from machine A and create a brand new DATABASE . Run catproc.sql etc scripts on Machine A. Create the necessary user(s) and tablespaces and roles if possible and then do an import from the exported datafile from MACHINE B. 3:) Delete database from MACHINE A.
Create a new database on machine A.
Copy the exported.dat from MACHINE B to MACHINE A. And do a full import into the new database. Drop all the unnecessary tables..

I think this will give you an idea as to which option to go for. There is another option as well.
And that is to copy the datafiles from machine B to machine A and rebuild the environment as well as the control files. See www.oraworld.com for more details. I must warn you that the last option mentioned is very dangerous indeed.

Drop me an email as to how you get along. It is always good to share experiences.
Oracle DBA/Support
Vinay Joshi
Pinnacle Insurance Plc
Vjoshi_at_pinnacle.co.uk