Re: Oracle 8 Bugs

From: Bert Scalzo <bscalz01_at_7-11.com>
Date: 1998/02/09

We are currently on 7.3.3.4.1, and find that it is th best version of the 7.3 family. We have been trying to migrate to Oracle 8 for the past four months, but have encountered a few issues (not necessarily Oracle bugs) that have postponed our efforts.

  1. tape management software vendors have not yet updated their products to work with RMAN, so incremental backup/recovery is quite limited. Vendors say supported maybe by summer time ...
  2. third party OLAP and reporting tool vendors have not updated their products to generate queries conducive to partitioning, so queries against partitioned table can often take longer. Partitioning requires that query supply hard coded value in where clause in order to perform partition elimination.
  3. where clause with long IN clauses against columns having bitmap indexes cause dedicated server process to core dump. Switching to B-tree indexes corrects problem at cost of much more space and time to create.

These 3 issues alone make migrating our data warehouse precarious at best ...

Bert Scalzo