Re: Privilege problems

From: Sarah Sikes <sikes_at_erols.com>
Date: 1998/02/08

Jimmy <c6635500_at_comp.polyu.edu.hk> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
> I have two problems about the privilege.
>
>1) Table1 was created by user1. User1 wants user2 can do select on that table and he types the
> following commands:
> i) create role role1
> ii) grant select on table1 to role1
> iii) grant role1 to user2
> But user2 still cannot do select on table1. Could anyone tells me what's wrong?
>
>2) When user1 creates role "A" and "B", are the roles "A" and "B" automatically granted to user1?
>If user1 wants role "A" only, does he need to revoke role "B" from him?

as Miroslav said for #1 user2 must specify the owner of the table or the owner must create a synonym for that table.

for #2 yes they are but more importantly user1 cannot create a role granting priveleges that he doesn't already have. So even user1 were to revoke the role he would still have the priveleges that make up the role. Also unless user1 granted that role with the admin option no one except the SYSTEM or SYS users could grant or revoke it. Received on Sun Feb 08 1998 - 00:00:00 CST