Re: ODBC connection string for NT 4.0

From: Murali Kazhipurath <murali_at_jps.net>
Date: 1998/02/08

This is what you have to do:

  1. Install SQL*Net and the Oracle ODBC driver.
  2. Configure the connect strings in TNSNAMES.ORA file. Normally this file is located in C:\ORANT\NETWORK\ADMIN directory (assuming that C:\ORANT is your Oracle Home directory).
  3. From DOS prompt, try pinging the database using TNSPING utility. (tnsping connect_string).
  4. Using the ODBC administrator, create a data source. Enter the correct value of SQL*Net connect string.
  5. Using the ODBC test utility, try to connect to the database. Try to execute a SQL query like 'select sysdate from dual'

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you need any more help.

Murali Kazhipurath
Oracle DBA
(murali_at_jps.net)