Oracle 7.3 & 8 on same NT host

From: Ed Jennings <jenningse_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1998/02/07

I'm sure someone else has asked this before, but here goes. I'm running 7.3 on NT 4.0 and I want to install Oracle 8 also. I only have the one machine for both environments. Oracle 8 wants to use the same directory structure (\orant), and also to create an initial database with SID of ORCL. That is the same SID I'm using for my 7.3 instance. I'm new to NT, but my unix experience leads me to be a little nervous about using the same structure to hold two different versions of the DBMS software. Not to mention I have no control over the SID to use for the initial database (unless I just don't elect to have an initial built for me).

Can someone provide a hint as to what my options (if any) are? Is is bad to have two versions on the same host? Can I install Oracle 8 into an alternative directory structure but still run both versins of the DBMS concurrently?

Thanks,

Ed

--
jenningse_at_mindspring.com