Re: Changing Oracle Database Password

From: David Sidwell <JamesHunt_at_rocketmail.SpamMeNot.com>
Date: 1998/02/06

On Fri, 06 Feb 1998 09:40:06 -0400, Jonathan Trifts <Jonathan.Trifts_at_CGI.CA.NOSPAM> wrote:

>Listen folks...nobody likes to be spanked in public...especially if the
>ones doing the criticizing turn out not to be correct.

No spanking intended from my post - apologies if that is the way it was viewed.

>(Your ideas may be better...but that doesn't necessarily make you
>correct...or the other incorrect)

In this case the point I made was correct and the false (and somewhat dangerous assumption that someone needed ALTER USER privilege to change their own password) was definitely incorrect and needed correction.

[somewhat over-the-top nettiquette advice snipped]

>Jonathan

>> person can type
>> >
>> >No you are wrong! This works only if the users have the 'alter user'
>> privilege, which they
>> >should not!
>>
>> No you are wrong! You only need ALTER USER privilege to
>> issue the
>> command against a user other than yourself or to perform a
>> privileged
>> operation (such as changing your default tablespace etc.).
>> You can
>> try the following:
>> create a new user with only connect role:
>> SQL> GRANT CONNECT TO FRED IDENTIFIED BY FRED;
>> Grant succeeded.
>>
>> SQL> CONNECT FRED/FRED
>> Connected.
>>
>> SQL> ALTER USER FRED IDENTIFIED BY NODDY;
>> User altered.

David Received on Fri Feb 06 1998 - 00:00:00 CST