Re: Initial,Next Extents and Byte allocation confusion

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/02/06

In article <34DB898E.3EBE_at_sabre.com>,
Poorna Prakash <poorna_prakash_at_sabre.com> wrote:
>Please clarify the confusion I have on extent allocation
>and the bytes allocated. Upon inquiring the USER_INDEXES & USER_SEGMENTS
>data dictionary view, I stumbled upon this phenomenon, which shows two
>different results as far as the byte allocation is concerned, which I
>could
>not comprehend. Any insight would be appreciated.
>
>USER_INDEXES
>************
>
>Index Name Table Name Initial Ext Next Ext Min. Ext. PCT
>Increase
>---------- ---------- ----------- -------- ---------
>------------
>CUST_PK CUSTOMER 36864 40960
>1 50
>ORDER_PK ORDER 12288 40960
>1 50
>

>USER_SEGMENTS
>*************
>
>Segment Name Bytes Extents
>------------ -------- -------
>CUST_PK 40960 1
>ORDER_PK 28672 1
>
>My question is shouldn't the BYTES column in the USER_SEGMENTS show
>38684 & 12288.
>Why is the bytes column displayed as 40960 & 28672, when the formula to
>calculate
>the bytes allocated in this case (only one extent allocated) should be
>
> (number of extents) X (initial extent)
>

>ie., 1 X 36864 = 36864 bytes
> 1 X 12288 = 12288 bytes
>
>Thanks for your time and reply.
>
>-Prakash

I believe you are seeing the difference between what you told Oracle to do, and how Oracle is rounding up to fill up multiples of the blocksize.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com