Error starting Oracle instance on Dec Alpha Window NT 4.0 server

From: Bryant Vo <bvo_at_ems.jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: 1998/02/06

Hello,

A year ago, I had installed Oracle7 Workgroup Server (release 7.1.3.3.7) for Digital Alpha Window NT 3.51. I was able to start the default instance ORCL and eventually the database. I didn't do anything then because I didn't have any experience about it. Now I have upgraded to Window NT 4.0 on Dec Alpha and reinstalled Oracle7 (the same CD). The followings are the steps I went through and the results :

  1. Run Oracle7 installer oranins.exe
    • Type of installation : Typical ....
    • Oracle network protocal : TCP/IP
    • Server name : isag-alpha
    • Create initial database : Yes ....
  2. At about the end of the installation I got a Startup Instance Error : Fail to start the Listener Service and Fail to start the Instance. I don't recall seeing this errors a year ago during the installation. I tried to start the instance using the Instance Manager and got the same error message. I also tried to start the listener service using the Control Panel and then start the Instance Manager but I got the same instance not start error message.

Please tell me if I did anything wrong. May be I did not completely remove all the old stuffs before reinstall Oracle. I would very appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Bryant

Please send your reply to my email at bvo_at_ems.jsc.nasa.gov Received on Fri Feb 06 1998 - 00:00:00 CST