Re: Filtered Query on nth row

From: Antti Lavikka <Antti.Lavikka_at_bdb.fi>
Date: 1998/02/06

Of course you can use PL/SQL and make a loop which returns only desired rows, but try using Oracle's pseudo column RowNum and modulo-function. Problem is that you can not use rownum in where clause so you must first create the result set and then filter desired rows. Statement could be something like this

SELECT ...
FROM ...
GROUP BY (all columns)
HAVING MOD(rownum,5) = 1

I am not sure of this, so test it carefully. Also this uses HEAVILY I/O and CPU, so if the result set is large this may not be the solution you want

Mika Wendelius
System Analyst
Business DataBases Ltd