Re: Clarifications on Listener - Unix

From: Patrick <patm_at_cmhmetro.com>
Date: 1998/02/06

Bryan Lenihan wrote in message <6be381$7af_at_bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...
>I would highly recommend using the Network Manager! For the creation of the
>TNSNAMES.ORA and the LISTENER.ORA files. The spelling, spacing, and
>parenthesis can get tedious. If your shop is like my shop, you do not have
>time to work on problems that have programs to help you fix them.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. The problem that I ran into was that we are using 32-bit SQL*Net client and Network Manager is a 16-bit tool. I briefly tried to get them to work together, but our installation is a simple one and it was just quiker to create the files manually.

If you, or anyone, could offer suggestions on using Network manager with the 32-bit client I would appreciate it. BTW, I went to a two-day SQL*Net configuration class, given by Oracle, last December and was led to believe that they wouldn't work together. Hopefully, I am mistaken and someone could offer some advice.

TIA, Patrick Meyer
GIS DBA
City of Columbus