ORACLE OCI and Date/Time

From: <henry.vandeligt_at_visy.com.au>
Date: 1998/02/05

I have an application that obtains DATE (including TIME) data from ORACLE V7.3 using C++ and OCI. Problem is that I loose the TIME component. OCI documentation gives Internal Data Types of DATE and External Data Type of VARCHAR2 and DATE. Both return only the DATE portion. How do I Obtain TIME info? The application is generic and needs to be able to read a wide variety of tables with the attribute contents only knoweable at execution time. Any help please?