Re: Backup

From: Brad Orahood <brad_at_ipinc.net>
Date: 1998/02/05

S Chavali wrote in message <34D90320.B1A86009_at_iname.com>...
>Priya Pattada wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a question, if a user on the system accidently updated or deleted
>> the wrong rows of a table and signed off the system, what type of backup
>> would the DBA need for recovery? The rows that were updated wrongly need
>> to be got back without losing any other rows that have been updated and
>> commited by other users
>> during the same period of time.
>>
>> Thank you in advance for your help.
>> Priya
>
>As far as I know, this is impossible using recovery. Recovery to a point in
>time involves recovering the whole database and cannot be done for just a
>table.

Well, that's not entirely true - but the options aren't very practical. What you can do is
save the current state of the database, recover to point in time, export the offending
table, restore your recent save, then replace the table from the export.... But this
is a really nasty way to go. Received on Thu Feb 05 1998 - 00:00:00 CST