Re: Row Count

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/02/05

Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in article <6bca6k$2vg$1_at_hermes.is.co.za>...
> Connor McDonald wrote in message <34D83630.6E7A_at_bhp.com.au>...
> >> The project I am currently working on has a requirement to
 provide
> >> feedback to the user about the query that (s)he has sent. This
> >> feedback consists of the number of rows that satisfy the query
 and
> >> the amount of time to satisfy the query.
> <snipped>
>
> I would love to see the SQL statements that Discoverer 3 makes to
 get this
> to work.

The last time I checked, it did the following: 1) Check the session stats before and after queries to find out the database cost of the completed query 2) Keep a repository of queries previously run with time taken. When you issue a new query it compare it with those it the repository to see if there is a sufficiently similar query whose time can be used as the indicator for the new query.

Simple - isn't it. Received on Thu Feb 05 1998 - 00:00:00 CST