Re: Q? Oracle FAQ?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/02/04

In article <34D8934E.4224_at_entergy.com>,
Ian Crozier <icrozie_at_entergy.com> wrote:
>I've been looking in all my usual places for an Oracle FAQ, but can't
>find one. Can someone please point me in the right direction.
>Also, what I'm looking for is procedures to start and stop Oracle
>instances on an AIX system. Does anyone know where I can find this
>information?

I'm putting together a few Oracle links on my home page (see .sig).

You should have some scripts called dbstart and dbshut. See the install guide for Oracle on AIX. It's been a while since I've been on AIX, but I think it is system V, so you would have a script in /etc/init.d to startup the listener and server, and symlink with files in /etc/rc/rc2.d. Automating shutdowns a bit harder, 'cause so many apps leave stuff hanging around you have to kill.

In my startups I like to redirect output to a log file, so if the system reboots at some odd time I can check and be sure Oracle came up properly. #!/usr/bin/ksh
su - oracle -c $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart > $ORACLE_HOME/dbstart.out 2>&1

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com