Re: Extents: Less or More?

From: Jurij Modic <jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si>
Date: 1998/02/03

On Mon, 02 Feb 1998 14:24:47 -0500, ME <74577.1525_at_CompuServe.COM> wrote:

>All,
>Block fragmentation coupled with multipule extents can cause
>performance problems. I think this is the main concern with
>multipule extents. If you don't have PCTFREE/PCTUSED set
>properly, you may have some serious performance problems with
>multi-extents.

Hi!

Can you elaborate this a little? Are you saying that the same inapropriate PCTFREE/PCTUSED setting on a single-extent segment will not cause the same problems you are refering to? If so, can you explain the situation in a litle more detail?

It was proven many times both theoreticaly and practicaly that multiple extents cause pracicaly no performance degradation compared to single extents, provided that storage parameters for extents are set correctly.

>Robert

Regards,

Jurij Modic                             Republic of Slovenia
jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si		Ministry of Finance
The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Tue Feb 03 1998 - 00:00:00 CST