Re: SQL*Net through a Firewall

From: Phil Herring <revdoc_at_uow.edu.au>
Date: 1998/02/02

In article <34D55376.A5F_at_vdoj.vic.gov.au> Sys Admin, sysadmin_at_vdoj.vic.gov.au writes:
>Does anyone know of any decent up-to-date documentation on this? I
>suspect it is quite a common request these days.

I don't know about Net8, but SQL*Net hasn't changed since that white paper was written, so the solution to your problem is the same as it always was:

  1. You can configure your RDBMS to use just one port number (the listener port number) by using dedicated server processes. This allows you to use a simple firewall, but may degrade server performance. (Probably will, in most cases.)
  2. If you run MTS to get better server performance, your SQL*Net dispatchers will use arbitrary port numbers, so you will need firewall software that specifically understands SQL*Net and will pass traffic to those port numbers as required. Nothing else will do the job. There are a few products out there that do this, and none of them are free.

Copyright 1998 Phil Herring. This article may not be reproduced for profit.