Re: What kind of server should we buy for Oracle?

From: <ajitsingh_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1998/02/02

Hi,

It is difficult to suggest any specific h/w or memory configuration without having an understanding of the application. Nevertheless I am sharing some of my experience on Digital h/w.

We have been using Oracle 7 on Digital Alphaservers - 8400s, 2100s for the last few years. We have large databases 150-200 GB range (RAID 5, SW500, SW800 storages boxes with HSZ 40, HSZ50 RAID controllers) with a total of about 1300 users or so. Application is a mix of batch/OLTP/DSS. Memory config. on servers range from 1-4 GB. Servers are upgradable to 12 cpus and 14 GB RAM. We found the hardware reliable and the performance is also good.

We had started migration from Unisys/COBOL/DMSII environment to Oracle in 1992-93.
May be you could look at Digital mid-range servers - 4100 series.

If you are looking for any more information, please send me an e-mail.

I hope this helps,

Ajit
Sr. System & DBA