Re: Extents: Less or More?

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_p3.net>
Date: 1998/02/02

Hi Phil,

I had the misfortune to get nailed by an excessive number of extents problem in a purchased application. The application was written in a manner that caused a few of the columns in the row to be entered initially and then added additional columns at separate times over the course of the day. By the end of the day the main table had grown from one extent to seventeen :-(

The clerks who were doing the data entry complained that the time to enter the data for one event went from under ten seconds in the morning to several minutes by late afternoon of the next day. I wasn't able to go into the application and make any changes and the vendor was clueless as to both the cause and how to cure it. (It seems as though they hired a self-proclaimed Oracle whiz to do their data base -- and he wasn't) All I could do was a daily export and import in order to reduce the number of extents. It worked well enough to keep the time required to enter data for an event stayed under one minute.

Regards

Jerry