Re: Raid and Mirroring Redo logs-Newbie

From: Jeff Shervey <jeff.shervey_at_us.landisstaefa.com_spamblock>
Date: 1998/02/02

You need to have a mix of RAID-5 and RAID-1 or RAID-0+1...

Have redo logs on RAID-1....the intense write nature of redo's is not optimal on RAID-5 where writing data invokes a penalty. Consider moving rollback segments and TEMP tablespace also on RAID-1, same with Archive logs. Leave everything else on RAID-5. Mirroring redo's would be nice to do...RAID-5 array's do fail if more than 1 drive takes a dive. Don't rely too much on RAID....you may never crash because of disk crashes but Oracle can still corrupt some data blocks from time to time, causing a restore.

RAID 0+1 is the best all around RAID config...I would consider this bigtime if I knew that 2000 users are able to login at any one time.