Re: Loopback in TNSNAMES.ORA

From: Jim Anderson <janderson_at_ci.lincoln.ne.us>
Date: 1998/02/02

Create a TCP/IP or SPX entry in your tnsnames file on the Netware server just as you would from a client. To startup/shutdown the database, after you get into server manager type

set instance tns_tcp_alias

or

set instance tns_spx_alias

where tns_tcp_alias and tns_spx_alias are the SQL*Net aliases you created. Then connect internal and issue the startup/shutdown commands. Or you can type:

connect internal/password_at_tns_tcp_alias

or

connect internal/manager_at_tns_spx_alias

Then issue the startup/shutdown commands. You can create ncf files to shutdown/startup the database automatically when the server is rebooted. You can find documentation for doing this on the MetaLink pages on the support.oracle.com web server. Get into the Novell area and it is under the Technical Bulletins section.

Hope this helps,
Jim Anderson