DBMS Utility.Format Error Stack doens't always work ?

From: Karl E. Jørgensen <kjorg_at_msn*DOT*com>
Date: 1998/02/01

Initially I'd have thought that the DBMS UTILITY.FORMAT ERROR STACK function returned "the error stack" !

So, If I have a procedure (which calls loads of other procedures) and want the CALLING procedure to report any errors, I expected to be able to just "catch" it in a "when others" exception, then use format error stack to report the error, and continue processing.

In short, this is driving me nuts (some may say that's too late anyway), but am I missing something obvious ? Or am I just (heaven forbid !) WRONG ?   I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have

Karl

### Good - this was what I expected.
### Now try to catch it in an exception

SQL> Begin
  2 proc a;
  3 Exception When others Then
  4 DBMS Output.Put Line(DBMS Utility.format error stack);   5 End;
  6 /
ORA-01403: no data found

###' yep - I caught it. BUT WHERE IS THE REST OF THE ERROR STACK !?

--
Any ideas out there ?

Karl