Re: Raid and Mirroring Redo logs-Newbie

From: <ajitsingh_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1998/02/01

Hi,

I have worked with raid5 on dec systems and I am mentioning some points which might be useful to you.

  1. I did mirror the archived logs from raid to an internal disk (using a shell script) because of 24x7 requirement(prevention against raid controller failure). It may not be a good idea(performance wise) to keep redo on raid. As far as I know, mirroring redo on raid 5 may not be reqd. I would suggest putting redo on one internal disk, and its mirror on another (unless you have your redo on raw). It is unlikely that both disks will fail together.
  2. If your environment is going to be OLTP, then multi-threaded might be better. If it going to be DSS, warehouse, batch kind of apps then dedicated is better off. If you have a mix your batch type apps should use a dedicated server.

I hope this helps.

Ajit