Multi-Master database replication

From: Johnson Family <johnson_at_obeliskltd.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/01/31

I was wondering if any of the Oracle DBA type gurus could answer a question for
me?
I have been asked to set up a replication system for an application we are building,
it consists of two NT 4.0 machines running Oracle Server 7.3.4 connected via a
LAN. We have the same schemas on both servers, and both machines run the same
application software. Users connected to either machine can alter thier subscription
information so we need to replicate the changes from one machine to the other. I have
proposed we use multi-master replication (updatable snapshots?) with async data
propagation. We also have an administration tool which alters some of the tables,
which also need replication. What I want to do is use Synchronous propasgation here
to ensure the other database is updated. The admin people will be able to ensure that
both servers are operating before makeing the changes so Sync propagation wont be a
problem.
Now after all that the question is:

How do I set up the replication to use synchronous propagation for one replication group
and asynchronous for the other, when both groups are in the same schemas.
Any help or pointers to where I can find info would be appreciated. I have checked the
Oracle Magazine archives already and the info there is not too clear.

I would prefer mail back to me as I dont get to browse this group that often.

Thanks
Darren
.........A future DBA? :) Received on Sat Jan 31 1998 - 00:00:00 CST