Altering max datafiles set on installation?

From: Claus Jensen <cje_at_stibo.com>
Date: 1998/01/31

Is there a way (that does not involve reinstalling Oracle!) to change the maximum number of datafiles that is set on during installation.

It's easy enough to change the "db_files" init.ora parameter, but unfortunately you can set that to any value you like and you do not get any warning until you try to exceed the "hard" maximum set during install. So what does it take to change that value?

Is there any negative side to setting a high value of this parameter during install? I would think that only the actual number of datafiles affects performance.

Thanks for any advice. Please also reply by mail.

Claus Jensen The Stibo Technology Group...since 1794 Stibo Datagraphics Inc. 400 Franklin Road E-mail: cje_at_stibo.com Marietta Phone: (001) 770 425 3282, ext. 197 GA 30067-7735 Fax: (001) 770 425 3012
"If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we would be so simple we couldn't..."