Re: Moving Oracle database files

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/01/30

In article <34D24359.EA7E595_at_boeing.com>, Douglas Scott <Douglas.S.Scott_at_boeing.com> wrote:
>We just got an Alpha 2100 with a disk array and are going to cluster it
>with our VAX 6000 so that the disks can be used from either machine. I
>would like to move some of my database files onto the new disks. Can
>anyone tell me what is the easiest way to move Oracle database files?

exp/imp utilities. Even if you don't have to, a great excuse to reorg your files.

It's been a while, but I seem to remember having weirdnesses when using copy to move between oracle's datafiles between these particular architectures. I may be misremembering, or it may have just been me or my customers with new alphas.

Something I've never tried is alter table move partition, you might look into.

If the copy does work, this is how you would do it:

Backup the database (!)
Check what the system thinks the filename is in DBA_DATA_FILES Take the tablespace offline
copy the datafiles to the new location (leave the old ones) alter database <database> rename datafile 'old' to 'new'; (fully pathed) shutdown and restart
Do another backup
See that everything works
Ok, now you can delete the original files

See your fine Server Administrators Guide and let everyone know how it goes!

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com