Re: DBTools.h++ / MFC

From: Kuehn <g.kuehn_at_computer.org>
Date: 1998/01/30

Bjoern,

I am using DBTools.h version 2.12 with Sybase and Open Client. The mix you mention between MFC STL Tools can get you in quit a fix. I am using MFC version 4.2
(Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler 4.2b compiler). I have found that to avoid various redefinition conflicts
Rogue Wave should be declare before any MFC includes in your main include file (stdafx.h).

I have also encapsulated the DBTools inside the implementation section of my database specific Extension DLL. The interface side of the DLL is an MFC interface with CStrings an CArray templates etc. There isn't any reference to Rogue Wave stuff. This implementation proved to provide the best integration with MFC.

I avoided STL due to incompatibilities with the version of MFC I was targeting. I have used ODBC solutions in the past and I shall never use them again. The large majority of client complaints and program failures always found their way back to ODBC. In an enterprise solution I have found from experience that I could maintain much better control of our systems if I avoided ODBC.

Rogue Wave DBTools seems a bit strange when you first start using it, but like all things it tends to grow on you. My queries are quit responsive. This includes the overhead of moving the data from the RWDBReader into an MFC template or variables accessed from the interface side. One word to the wise. Manage your connections carefuly. Avoid using the default connection with DBTools (Rogue Wave also advises this for performance reasons and minimizing the number of connections) .

I found maintaining the Open Client server connection information a straight forward task through our installation procedure.

I know I rambled on in a rather disjointed manner. I am getting really tired.
best of luck

regards
gary

Bjoern Eggstein <eggstein_at_compuserve.com> wrote in article <34d10217.49905255_at_news.compuserve.com>...
> Hello all,
>
> on Thu, 22 Jan 1998 14:45:53 +0100, Dietmar Leibecke
> <dleibeck_at_debis.com.---> wrote:
>
> >Anybody out there using MFC in conjunction with DBTools.h++?
> >
> >We'd like to access Oracle databases from Windows NT clients via
 DBTools.h++ and