Re: Relationals vs. Objects Databases I

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/01/29

In article <dqa7tSA7OP00Ew5q_at_jbdr.demon.co.uk>, Jeremy Rickard <Jeremy_at_SPAM.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <6aojqd$mhs$1_at_pebble.ml.org>, Joel Garry
><joelga_at_pebble.ml.org> writes
>
>>>I guess the people I work for are less demanding, or the databases I
>>>design better suited to the purpose.
>>
>>No, you just ignored the requirement for embedding as part of your solution.
>>Without that "little" caveat, your original statement that SQL is a good enough
>>language made no sense. COBOL is an additional cost, layered product in
>>most cases, not part of SQL.
>
>Yes, well that assumption was certainly at the back of my mind
>originally, whether stated or not.
>
>>Fortunately, I've managed to avoid it for the most part since 1980. I
>>mean, '57 Chevy's may be nice, but I wouldn't want to commute in one.
>
>Not when I can ride a bicycle, you mean? <g>

No, but <g> anyway!

>As I suggested before, I think it comes down to the type of system
>you're developing. I'm working on the population of a sizable data
>warehouse at the moment. We use COBOL to embed our SQL. That's not a
>big deal. There would be little benefit in moving to, say, C++ to embed
>SQL in - the structure of the programs is so simple that I find it hard
>to see how OO programming techniques could add value.
>
>You are saying it is useful because you could write / use classes that
>would eliminate the need for SQL altogether. That's your opinion, but
>personally I suspect that OO programming will find its niche elsewhere.

I didn't say anything of the sort. I only had to comment on a really strange statement about the completeness of SQL as a language. I think C and it's derivatives are one of the worst languages for _applications_ ever devised. The only reason they are so popular is the large population of students "trained" in C. Not a good thing for the software industry.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com