Re: Relationals vs. Objects Databases I

From: Jeremy Rickard <Jeremy_at_SPAM.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/01/29

In article <6aonkg$c1r$1_at_news1.teleport.com>, Patrick Logan <plogan_at_user1.teleport.com> writes
>In comp.databases.object Jeremy Rickard <Jeremy_at_SPAM.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>: I'll take your word for it. From my brief experience with MFC, I'd say
>: a problem with OO programming is that you have to familiarise yourself
>: with the behaviour of hundreds of objects, rather than few basic
>: principles.
>
>This is not just true of OOP but with any programming style whose
>languages have rich capabilities. Functional programming is a simple
>concept, like OOP, yet the Haskell language has huge libraries of
>functions that can be reused *if* you are familiar with them.
>
>But there is a difference between a beginner and a veteran.

A completely valid point, of course; but what if there isn't enough of this (very high) expertise to go round? Nice for the expert in terms of fees, bad for businesses who will end up using "raw apples" that will spoil the "barrel", to misappropriate the adage.

--
Jeremy Rickard

(To email, change "SPAM" to "jbdr" in address.)